What Requires a Permit?

Per the CBC (California Building Code) - No building or structure regulated by this code shall be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted or demolished unless a separate permit for each building or structure has first been obtained from the building official. However, there are some permit exemptions

Need help preparing your documents or applying for your permit?

Visit the Development Services online permit center by clicking on the image below.

Other helpful quick links

Upcoming Events

View More
How to Obtain a Building Permit

All applications (including plans, technical documents and forms) must be submitted in a digital format. Plan check may be required, and plans and technical documents should comply with the current code and design criteria. Permits can be issued to a legal property owner or to a licensed contractor.

Although a contractor will often secure permits, it is the responsibility of the homeowner to make sure all necessary permits are obtained. To view useful information about being an owner-builder and hiring contractors, the California Contractors State License Board, in cooperation with the Department of Consumer Affairs, has a wealth of information and printable hand-outs to help you select an appropriate contractor for your project.

If work has been started without a building permit, please view the policy for work done without a building permit. The policy describes how to obtain approval from the City of Roseville for work performed without the benefit of a building permit.

For your convenience, the Development Services, Building Division prepared a summary of significant changes of the 2022 California Building Standards Code that may affect your project. You may access them at the following link: 2022 California Significant Code Changes under the Building tab, at the bottom of the page. Please note that the lists are not exhaustive and may not include all the changes.

Building Permit Fees

Fees for most projects are based on the use and square footage of the building. To determine the valuation and fees for your project, please reference the Schedule of User and Regulatory Fees or the current fee booklets. For help with a fee estimate, please contact the Building Division at 916-774-5332.

To request a refund of permit fees, where no work has been performed, please submit your request in writing. Where authorization for a refund is granted, no more than 75% of the original fees will be repaid.