Animal Control Vehicle

The City of Roseville Police Department's Animal Control Officers make every effort to keep the public safe, protect animals, and educate the community to be responsible pet owners.  Call Animal Control for any animal-related nuisance problems (barking dogs or aggressive dogs), loose pets, removal of dead animals from roadways, and licensing/enforcement issues.

Placer SPCA is the City's contract shelter.  They're the ones to contact for lost/found animals, low-cost neuter and vaccine clinics, and pet adoptions.  They do not respond to animal issues out in the field, handle enforcement issues or removal of dead animals from the roadway or private property.

Animal Control Officers provide the following services:
  • Found Dog: If you have found a loose dog, please report it to Animal Control immediately at (916)774-5090, or you may take the dog to the Placer SPCA located at 150 Corporation Yard Rd. The SPCA can be reached at (916) 782-7722. Placer SPCA is the City's contract shelter.
  • Loose/Nuisance cats: There are no laws pertaining to cats in the City of Roseville. Cats are free to roam. If you have a problem with a nuisance cat on your property, you may rent a free trap from the City of Roseville Police Dept. Animal Control. The cat trap line can be reached at (916) 774-5090 option 4. Leave a message and one of our volunteers will get back to you to arrange an appointment to come pick up a cat trap or to add you to our cat trap wait-list. Once the cat is trapped, you must take the cat to the City's contract shelter, Placer SPCA, located at 150 Corporation Yard Rd. during their regular business hours. The SPCA can be reached at (916) 782-7722.
  • Lost pet: To report your pet lost or missing, please contact the City's contract shelter, Placer SPCA, located at 150 Corporation Yard Rd. The Placer SPCA can be reached at (916) 782-7722.
  • Removal of dead animals: Animal Control Officers remove dead animals from public roadways and may be available to pick up dead animals from private property. If it is your own pet that is deceased, it is recommended you contact a veterinarian concerning the disposal of your deceased pet. You may also drop off your deceased pet at the Placer SPCA during business hours. Placer SPCA has their own fee schedule so it is recommended you contact them directly at (916) 782-7722.
  • Animal bites: Please report the following immediately to Animal Control - Animal bites to humans, wild animal bites to domestic animals, bat to human contact, and bat to domestic animal contact. A domestic animal involved in a bite or contact with wildlife may be required to be quarantined.
  • Wildlife Reporting: Report any non-emergency wildlife sightings through the City's Wildlife Reporting System. Unless the animal is injured or acting aggressively, there is no need to call the City's Police Department's Animal Control Unit.
  • Enforcement of animal laws and ordinances such as:

    • Leash law / At-large: Dogs must be on a leash when off the premises of the owner or the person having care, custody, control or possession of the dog. The leash shall not exceed six feet in length and shall be of sufficient strength to restrain the dog and must be held continuously by a responsible person capable of controlling the dog. When on the premises of the owner or the person having care, custody, control or possession of the dog, the dog must be restrained by means adequate and sufficient to prevent the dog from leaving the premises or under the control and in the immediate presence of the owner or person having care, custody, control or possession of the dog.

    • Removal of dog defecation: It is unlawful to have custody of any dog and fail to immediately remove and dispose of any feces deposited by such dog upon public property or upon private property not owned or controlled by the owner or person having the custody of such dog. It is also unlawful to allow dog feces to accumulate or remain on the ground or other surface on his or her private property to the extent that the accumulation creates a nuisance.

    • Animal Noise / Barking dogs: No person shall keep any animal that makes noise so continuously or incessantly for a period of 20 minutes or intermittently for an hour or more as to unreasonably disturb the peace and quiet. Animal Control Officers will warn the animal owner up to three times within a 12 month period. At the fourth complaint, the complainant is required to come forward and sign a citation against the animal owner. Animal Control Officers do not conduct independent investigations for animal noise and the complainant is required to hold the burden of proof.

    • Domestic Fowl: The City of Roseville allows residents to have up to 10 whether singly or in combination of ducks, chickens (both rooster and/or hen), or pigeons. Any domestic fowl shall be kept in a sanitary enclosure and the enclosure shall not be located within 20 feet of any building or property line. The animal noise municipal code section applies to domestic fowl kept within the City of Roseville.

    • Dog limitations: No more than three dogs over the age of four months shall be kept at or upon any premises or dwelling unit.

    • Animals in city parks: It is unlawful for any person to bring, have, allow or free any animal within the perimeter of any city park or golf course. Dogs may be exercised on-leash on bicycle/walking trails only or in one of the four designated city dog parks.

    • Service dogs: "Service animals" are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person's disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA (Adults with Disabilities Act)." -U.S. Department of Justice

      Mandatory registration of service animals is not permissible under the ADA (Adults with Disabilities Act) and does not require service animals to wear a vest, ID tag, or specific harness. Therefore, the City of Roseville no longer issues service dog ID tags. If you would like to obtain service dog identification, you will need to contact a private company. Service dogs are still subject to the same licensing and vaccination rules that are applied to all dogs in the City of Roseville and must be licensed with the City of Roseville.

      For more information regarding service dogs, please visit the Department of Justice - Adults with Disabilities Act website at:

    • Dog parks: There are four off-leash dog parks in the City of Roseville. Dogs must have a current dog license (this is not the same as a rabies tag) and must be over 6 months of age. The dog license tag must be affixed on your dog's collar in order to be in one of the city's dog parks.

      • Marco Dog Park: 1800 Sierra Gardens Dr.

      • Bear Dog Park: 1575 Pleasant Grove Blvd.

      • Hughes Dog Park: 1600 Parkside Wy.

      • Saugstad Dog Park: 100 Buljan Dr.

        Please be aware and adhere to all 'Dog Park Rules' posted at the dog parks

      • Park users and dog handlers assume ALL risks related to park use

      • All dog handlers MUST carry a leash

      • Dogs MUST be leashed prior to entering and upon leaving the dog park.

      • Limit of two dogs allowed per dog handler

      • All dogs MUST display CURRENT dog license and MUST be at least 6 months of age

      • YOU are responsible for your actions and those of your dog

      • Any dog exhibiting aggression MUST be REMOVED from the park

      • Children under 15 years of age MUST be supervised by an adult

      • Dogs that are sick, in heat or have fleas or ticks are not permitted

      • Dog parks are ONLY to be used as a place where dogs can be exercised

      • Food, picnics, sports activities and bicycles are not permitted

      • When leaving the park, remove all toys and personal items or they will be discarded

      • Please pick up after your dog and yourself

    • Dog and cat licenses: Licensing is required for all dogs and cats 4 months and older and must be licensed with the City of Roseville. The City of Roseville has partnered with PetData. There are two options available to license your dog or cat.

      • Telephone - You can call PetData directly at (877) 816-6708

      • Online - To license online, go to and enter your zip code. Under "License Now", click "Online". The rabies certificate may be uploaded or submitted later by fax, mail or email. Pay with a major credit card. A convenience fee will apply per transaction. Multiple pets can be licensed in one transaction.

  • The Placer SPCA offers low-cost rabies vaccine and micro-chipping clinics in addition to spay and neuter assistance (SNAP). For more information, go to and click the "Services" link.

  • After hours Animal Control calls for service are limited to animals causing in-progress/immediate danger to public safety or for stray/wild injured animals that need immediate veterinary care. For non-urgent calls, an Animal Control Officer will handle the next regular scheduled work day.

Roseville Police Department--Animal Control
1051 Junction Blvd. Roseville CA 95678
Animal Control:  (916)774-5090

Department Hours: Mon - Fri: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Records Counter Hours:
Mon, Tues, Wed & Fri: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Thurs: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. Closed weekends.
Patrol & Dispatch Hours:
Open 24 hours

Emergency Phone:
911 or (916) 786-6444
Non-Emergency Phone: (916) 774-5000
TDD: (916) 774-5200
Contact Us