Sidewalk Repair

The City of Roseville conducts its annual sidewalk replacement project in the spring to repair sidewalks damaged by root or trunk growth of official city street trees (OCST). The program is conducted to help reduce safety hazards caused by uplifted sections of sidewalks adjacent to OCSTs. The City is not responsible for long-term repair of all sidewalks.

Since City residents often have questions about who is responsible for sidewalk repair, the following answers should help explain City sidewalk repair policy:

What is an "official city street tree" (OCST)?
OCSTs are planted and maintained by the City of Roseville. The trees grow between public walkways and street curbs or within the public right-of-way if no public walkway exists.

What happens after a public sidewalk is reported as damaged?
When the City of Roseville is notified that a sidewalk is damaged, the street maintenance division temporarily repairs it by placing asphalt on the separation to reduce the chance of tripping.

What sidewalks will the City repair?
According to City and State codes, the City is responsible for long-term repair of sidewalks damaged by OCSTs. If damage was caused by an OCST or a City vehicle, permanent repairs are scheduled into the annual sidewalk replacement project. If the sidewalk was damaged in any other manner, the property owner is responsible for repairing the sidewalk.

How do I find out if sidewalk damage was caused by an OCST?
OCSTs are located in the following designated areas:

  1. Sierra Vista Park subdivision
  2. Cherry Glen and Theiles subdivisions
  3. Roseville Heights subdivision
  4. Downtown and Old Town
  5. Hill & Atkins and Los Cerritos subdivisions

Click here to view a map of the designated areas.

Each year, one area is included in the sidewalk repair project. Sidewalks damaged by trees outside designated areas are the property owner's responsibility.

Sound Wall Repair

Sound walls are located along most major roadways where residential subdivisions back up to them. For the most part, most of the sound walls that are constructed within the City of Roseville were constructed with the development of the subdivision. Sound walls are sometimes damaged and need to be repaired because they can pose a hazard to the public and to maintain an aesthetically pleasing environment for the community. The City has organized some of the frequently asked questions residents have regarding the repairs of sound walls.

Does the City of Roseville install sound walls along existing roads with a high volume of traffic?
The City no longer installs sound walls along major roadways. In 1987 the City's Planning Department established a criteria and identified subdivisions targeted for sound wall construction based on input from public workshops and meetings before the City Council. Through this process a "Sound Wall Priority List" was established and approved by the City Council in 1988. After the approval of the Sound Wall Priority List, the Public Works Department was charged to develop a sound wall construction project and to construct the sound walls at the locations approved by Council. However, per City Council direction in the mid-1990s, this program was discontinued since the General Fund funded it.

How can we get an existing sound wall raised or a new sound wall constructed along existing roadways and subdivisions?
Per City Council direction, the only available funding option for construction of sound walls would be the formation of an Assessment District. Basically, an Assessment District is a funding mechanism where the properties that would benefit from an improvement, pays for the improvement.

What happens after a sound wall is reported as damaged?
When the City's Public Works Department is notified that a sound wall is damaged, engineering staff will investigate the location of the sound wall to determine if the City is responsible for repairs.

What is the criteria to determine the responsibility for repairing a damaged sound wall?
Generally, the City will repair damaged sound walls that were constructed by the City or are in the City's right-of-way. Repairs to sound walls that do not meet the above criteria, are the responsibility of the adjoining property owners. However, each report of a damaged sound wall will be investigated on a case-by-case basis.