Creeks are naturally occurring features and conveyor belts of sediment as they are constantly moving from side to side across the landscape (regardless of property lines), eroding their banks and transporting that sediment downstream, ultimately to the ocean. This erosion is a naturally occurring process that has been going on for hundreds of thousands of years, long before anyone lived in this area. And erosion will continue to occur as long as there is flowing water.

There is no obligation on the part of any property owner to inhibit erosion. Sometimes, out of choice, people attempt to slow the erosion process by installing more resistive materials such as rocks, concrete blocks, etc. But inevitably, those materials will eventually erode away given enough time. 

The City commonly receives inquiries from the public asking if the City would restore creek banks that show signs of erosion. The City will only repair erosion to creek banks where public facilities may be threatened by that erosion, such as a public roadway, a City-installed flood control wall, or a City-owned utility line. That is an appropriate use of public funds. The City does not install erosion control or perform repairs to creek banks where privately-owned improvements are threatened, as that is the responsibility of the owner of those improvements.

The City also does not install erosion control to try and prevent trees on City-owned property to fall, as tree falling is a naturally occurring process. If a tree on City-owned property falls, the City will evaluate whether the fallen tree has the potential to cause damage. If such potential exists, then City crews will typically remove the tree. If a fallen tree is located on private property, it’s the property owner’s responsibility to address the issue.

If a property owner wishes to take action to restore a creek bank or install erosion protection where erosion threatens their privately owned improvements, the property owner would first need to obtain the appropriate agency permits and then either do the work themselves or hire a contractor to do the work. Permits required for this type of work typically include:


In Zoned Floodway
If the work is located in the “zoned” floodway, a Flood Encroachment Permit from the City of Roseville Development Services Department is required. Please contact the City’s Planning Division at 774-5276 to determine the location of the “zoned” floodway.

Not in Zoned Floodway
If the work is not in the “zoned” floodway, and the amount of fill is over 50 cubic yards, then a Grading Permit is required from the City of Roseville Development Services Department, 774-5339. If the work is not in the “zoned” floodway and the amount of fill is less than 50 cubic yards, no permit from the City of Roseville is required. If any of the proposed work is located on property owned by the City of Roseville, an Encroachment Permit (with proper insurance) is required from the City of Roseville Development Services Department, 774-5339.

Contact the following agencies regarding their requirements:
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
Regional Water Quality Control Board
Central Valley Flood Protection Board 

Contact the Army Corps of Engineers regarding their requirements.