Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Wastewater Collection Supervisor
$5,747 to $7,702 MONTHLY (26 PAY PERIODS ANNUALLY)
FINAL FILING DATE:
ACCEPTING A MAXIMUM OF
APPLICATIONS or closing no later than 5:00 P.M., Tuesday, January 15, 2013, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST.
The final filing date has been extended to January 29, 2013.
TENTATIVE TEST DATE:
Oral Interview – February 25, 2013
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the position of Wastewater Collection Supervisor in the Environmental Utilities Department. The normal work schedule will be Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A flex schedule may be available.
To plan, organize, direct, and supervise a variety of wastewater collection operations as assigned, within the Wastewater Utility Division of the Environmental Utilities Department; and to perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from the Wastewater Collection Superintendent.
Exercises direct supervision over assigned personnel.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Recommend and assist in the implementation of goals and objectives; establish schedules and methods for a variety of wastewater collection and recycled water distribution activities, and implement policies and procedures.
• Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise, and review the work of staff involved in wastewater collection and recycled water distribution activities.
• Evaluate operations and activities of assigned responsibilities; recommend improvements and modifications; prepare various reports on operations and activities, monitor goals and objectives for the division.
• Participate in budget preparation and administration; prepare cost estimates for budget recommendations; submit justifications for various wastewater collection and related maintenance activities, and monitor and control related expenditures.
• Participate in the selection of staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures.
• Supervise and coordinate operations and maintenance of wastewater collection and recycled water activities, including compliance with regulatory standards related to the Regional Water Quality Control Board.
• Establish, enforce, and schedule CCTV (closed circuit television) main inspections relative to preventive maintenance activities as well as acceptance of new developments; conduct site inspections as necessary.
• Answer questions and provide information to the public; investigate complaints and recommend corrective action as necessary to resolve complaints.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Respond to critical emergency situations involving wastewater overflows or damage to wastewater facilities.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• The methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the operation, maintenance, repair and construction of wastewater collection and recycled water distribution systems.
• Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluations.
• Principles of budget monitoring.
• Principles and practices of safety management and CAL-OSHA requirements for all aspects of maintenance and repair work, equipment usage and Confined Space Program.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, ordinances and rules in regards to maintenance and operations of a wastewater collection system.
• Basic elements involved in a sewer system management plan (SSMP).
• Asset and maintenance management software systems.
• Organize, implement, and direct wastewater collection and recycled water operations and maintenance activities.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds of less.
• Interpret and explain pertinent City and department policies and procedures.
• Assist in the development and monitoring of an assigned program performance budget.
• Develop and recommend policies and procedures related to assigned operations.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Supervise, train, and evaluate assigned staff.
Experience and Training
• Six years of increasingly responsible experience in wastewater collection and maintenance activities, including one year of lead responsibility.
• Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by college course work in construction technology, environmental practices or a related field.
License or Certificate
• Possession of a valid California Class B driver’s license is required within one year of appointment.
• Possession of a valid California Water Environment Association Grade III Collection System Maintenance certificate is required within one year of appointment.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate extensive experience in the construction, operations, and maintenance of wastewater collection infrastructure. They will provide both a lead and supporting role in the City’s goals to develop talent and promote a culture that reflects the Department’s core values of Integrity, Service, Teamwork, and Competitiveness. The candidate will lead by example with regard to safety policies and procedures, develop positive safety attitudes in on-site personnel, and have strong knowledge of OSHA, Regional Water Quality Control Board, and EPA regulations.
1. Describe your experience in the maintenance, construction, operation, and repair of underground pipeline systems. In your response, please include all certificates that you possess that are directly related to underground systems.
2. Describe your experience applying and enforcing safe work practices related to underground construction and wastewater collection system maintenance. In your response please list all safety training courses you have taken and/or certificates that you possess.
3. Describe your experience supervising and managing staff. In your response detail your level of responsibility, number of employees supervised, your experience in hiring, training, mentoring, performance evaluations, conflict resolution, and discipline.
4. Describe in detail, what a Sewer System Management Plan (SSMP) is designed to accomplish, and how you would use it as a tool to assist you in day to day operations. In your response, detail any elements of the SSMP you have assisted in developing and/or implementing.
5. Identify the basic laws, rules and regulatory agencies that would regulate wastewater collection systems. Alternatively, describe your work experiences with the above-mentioned with previous employers.
Applications will be screened to the most qualified candidates. Those candidates will be invited to an oral interview exam weighted 100%. Scores earned from the oral exam will establish the Employment List. Candidates within the top five ranked scores will be certified to the department for final consideration. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid pre-employment medical exam, a drug and alcohol screening test, and a fingerprint check.
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click Here to Apply
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
RFPs and Bids
Parks, Rec. & Library
Maidu Indian Museum
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Real-Time Traveler Info
Road Closures & Detours
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2013 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.