Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Promotional Recruitment No. 13.162
Date Opened: 05/08/14
$3,342 to $4,702 Monthly (26 pay periods annually)
FINAL FILING DATE:
QUALIFIED AND REGULAR City of Roseville employees may submit an application to Human Resources by 5:00 p.m. Monday, May 19, 2014.
Temporary employees are not eligible to apply
TENTATIVE TEST DATE:
Oral Interview: June 3, 2014
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the employment list of Administrative Technician to work in the Public Works Engineering Division. In addition to providing administrative support the job duties include compiling construction specifications and posting RFP’s and project bids on the Public Purchasing website. The position also provides the primary financial administrative support for the Division. The normal work schedule will be Monday - Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. A flex schedule may be available.
To perform technical level administrative duties in support of a City department or program; to research, collect, and analyze data and prepare draft reports; to track and report operational statistics; and to provide technical assistance to management.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
• Receives general supervision from assigned supervisory personnel.
• May exercise direct supervision over administrative support personnel.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop, coordinate, and implement program activities of a technical area of assignment related to department activities and programs.
• Respond to requests for documentation related to assigned area of responsibility; explain and interpret assignment area policies and procedures to internal or external customers.
• Perform technical and paraprofessional duties related to area of assignment including interpreting, analyzing, and determining compliance or acceptance of information and materials; prepare reports to document results of duties performed.
• Assist professional staff in performing and conducting studies, special projects, administrative and technical functions; perform data collection, research and analysis; prepare draft reports and technical documents; provide project oversight for the less complex or political projects.
• Assist with the development of Requests for Proposals and contract administration.
• Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise and review the work of administrative support staff involved in duties related to area of assignment.
• Establish and maintain systems related to assigned technical area of responsibility; monitor area activities and report progress as required.
• Ensure areas of responsibilities are in compliance with related laws, codes, ordinances, and legislation; advise staff of any irregularities in compliance.
• Review, verify and process documents related to department activities including budgets, contracts, grants, claims, legislation, purchasing, and other specialized documents based on area of assignment.
• Establish and maintain a wide variety of filing and reporting systems as necessary; develop record keeping procedures; provide relevant information to relevant parties prepare and type correspondence and compile and type reports.
• Compile and develop information for special studies and reports from a variety of resources; collect, compile and report findings and recommendations.
• Assist with the testing, implementation and maintenance of new/upgraded software technologies and systems; maintain a variety of databases.
• Assist supervisor and managers with a variety of administrative operations; prepare, recommend and implement procedural modifications.
• Coordinate and assist in the development and administration of a department budget; prepare budget reports; compile annual budget requests; monitor and classify expenditures; track and reconcile bills; produce budget reports; research and resolve discrepancies.
• Independently respond to letters, e-mail and general correspondence based on areas of assignment.
• Coordinate, compile and draft City Council communications, as requested.
• May perform a wide variety of complex, responsible, secretarial and administrative duties for executive staff and other management personnel including providing routine analytical support.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of administrative and/or technical area to which assigned.
• Principles and practices of intermediate analytical research and project coordination.
• Modern office equipment, methods, procedures, and computer hardware and software.
• Principles of budget monitoring.
• Techniques and principles of effective interpersonal communication.
• Principles and methods of business letter and report writing.
• Principles and practices of safety management.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, codes, ordinances, City functions, policies, rules and regulations.
• General functions and objectives of municipal government.
• Research methods and techniques.
• Computer software, including word processing, data base, spreadsheet and accounting applications.
• English usage, spelling, punctuation and grammar; and arithmetic, basic mathematical calculations and statistics and statistical methods.
• Report writing techniques.
• Independently perform a variety of technical duties including research, compilation and report development in support of assigned department or program.
• On a continuous basis, sit at a desk. Intermittently twist and reach office equipment; write and use keyboard to communicate through written means; run errands; lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
• Intermittently review documents related to department operations; observe, identify and problem solve office operations and procedures; understand, interpret and explain department policies and procedures; explain operations and problem solve office issues for the public and with staff.
• Operate a personal computer utilizing spreadsheet, word processing and database software at an intermediate to advanced level.
• Collect, compile, analyze and present a variety of data in a meaningful way. • Develop and implement various data collection and reporting systems.
• Interpret, apply and explain laws, rules, code and City policies and procedures.
• Review budget submissions and revisions for mathematical and accounting accuracy.
• Understand and translate City policies and practices into everyday working practices; make sound decisions with solid problem solving methods.
• Supervise, train and evaluate assigned administrative support staff.
• Understand and interpret complex policies, procedures and regulations.
• Review documents and operational procedures; interpret, identify, explain and problem solve issues and recommend corrective action.
• Obtain information through interview; handle multiple project assignments; and deal firmly and courteously with the public.
• Analyze situations quickly and objectively to determine proper course of action.
• Understand the organization and operations of the City and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned technical responsibilities.
• Coordinate the development and monitoring of an assigned program project budget; project, track and reconcile expenses.
• Compose professional quality correspondence and letters; write highly technical, detailed and analytical reports.
• Maintain a high level of confidentiality of a wide range of sensitive information when involved with human resource, payroll or other confidential issues.
• Use principles of effective office safety including use of equipment in a proper and safe manner, use of preventative personal ergonomic techniques, and maintenance of safe housekeeping in personal and common workspaces.
• Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation and communication.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Experience and Training
Three years of responsible administrative support or technical experience preferably in the subject area to which assigned. One year of lead supervisory experience is highly desirable.
Equivalent to an Associate's degree from an accredited college with course work in public administration, business administration, accounting, industrial relations or a related field based on area of assignment.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
Applications will be screened to the most qualified and may include a written, oral, or practical examination. Final promotional appointment is contingent upon having successfully passed a City-paid pre-employment medical exam specific for the position applied for.
Promotional/Lateral (City Employees Only), Salary
Click Here To Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Real-Time Traveler Info
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2015 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.