Send a link
Return to Previous Page
: $5568 to $7462 monthly (26 pay periods annually).
FINAL FILING DATE
: We are accepting the first 50 qualified applications, or closing 5:00 pm, May 8, 2014;
whichever occurs first.
TENTATIVE EXAM DATE
: Oral Interview Exam, May 20 & 21, 2014
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and full-time position of Refuse Supervisor in the Environmental Utilities Department. The normal work schedule will is Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.; a flex schedule is available.
To plan, organize, direct and supervise a variety of refuse collection operations as assigned, within the Environmental Utilities Department; and to perform a variety of technical tasks related to assigned area of responsibility.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
• Receives general direction from the Refuse Superintendent.
• Exercises direct supervision over assigned personnel.
EXAMPLE OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
– Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Recommend and assist in the implementation of unit goals and objectives; establish schedules and methods for a variety of solid waste refuse collection/recycling activities, and implement policies and procedures.
• Promote a safe work environment and support safe work behaviors; review and analyze circumstances of accidents and injuries; identify and recommend corrective measures.
• Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise and review the work of staff involved in residential, commercial, industrial and other solid waste refuse collection and recycling activities.
• Evaluate operations and activities of assigned responsibilities; recommend improvements and modifications; prepare various reports on operations and activities.
• Participate in budget preparation and administration; prepare cost estimates for budget recommendations; submit justifications for various refuse collection activities according to area of assignment, and monitor and control related expenditures.
• Participate in the selection of staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures.
• Make field inspections of work sites and review collection routes on a regular basis; assess effectiveness of operations and performance, and make recommendations for modification based on safety, service and efficiency.
• Provide input relative to proposed new collection routes and location/access of collection bins.
• Answer questions and provide information to the public; investigate complaints and recommend corrective action as necessary to resolve complaints.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of safety management.
• Principles and practices of solid waste refuse collection.
• Equipment, tools and materials used in solid waste refuse collection.
• Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluations.
• Principles of budget monitoring.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, ordinances and rules.
• Organize, implement and direct solid waste collection operations/activities.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 50 pounds or less.
• Interpret and explain pertinent City and department policies and procedures.
• Assist in the development and monitoring of an assigned program budget.
• Develop and recommend policies and procedures related to assigned operations.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
Experience and Training
• Four years of increasingly responsible experience in solid waste collection operations, including one year of lead responsibility.
• Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by college course work in environmental practices or a related field.
License or Certificate
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Class B driver’s license.
1. Describe a particularly difficult situation you faced with a problem employee. What was the situation? What resources did you utilize? What was the process of resolution? What was the ultimate result for the employee?
2. Describe your experience coaching and mentoring employees. Include in your response the issue(s), your philosophy on mentorship/coaching, and the methodology implemented to address the challenge(s) and achieve organizational goals.
3. Describe in detail your direct leadership experience in the areas of residential and commercial collection and refuse maintenance.
4. Describe your experience in promoting a safe work environment. Give specific examples of circumstances where you identified issues and recommended corrective action aimed at reducing workplace injuries and increasing workforce safety.
5. Provide an example of something you have done to improve solid waste operational efficiency. Include in your response how you identified, analyzed, and presented your findings and/or recommendation.
6. What certifications or training in the areas of refuse collections management and supervision have you completed?
Applications and responses to supplemental questionnaire will be screened to those most meeting the needs of the department. Those applicants may be invited to an oral interview exam (weighted 100%). Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid pre-employment medical exam, a drug and alcohol screening test, and a fingerprint check.
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.