Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Senior Business Systems Analyst
PROMOTIONAL EXAM: 13.073
Date Opened: 12/09/2013
SENIOR BUSINESS SYSTEMS ANALYST
: $5735 to $7685 per month (26 pay periods annually)
FINAL FILING DATE: QUALIFIED AND REGULAR
City of Roseville employees may submit an application to Human Resources by 5:00 p.m. Thursday, December 19, 2013. Temporary employees are not eligible to apply.
TENTATIVE TEST DATE:
To be determined.
PLEASE NOTE: IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for Senior Business Systems Analyst in the Information Technology Department. The department is seeking to fill two positions, one in Business Applications Division and one in the GIS/Internet Division. The normal work schedule will be Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A flex schedule may be available.
To plan, organize and coordinate implementation of major business systems applications; to resolve high level and/or high priority business issues with departments; to manage related operational data processing systems and databases; and to perform a variety of professional and technical tasks relative to assigned responsibilities.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED AND RECEIVED
• Receives general direction from an Information Technology Supervisor.
• Exercises technical and functional supervision over professional and technical personnel.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Plan, prioritize, and review the work of personnel assigned to business systems application support.
• Develop schedules and methods to accomplish assignments ensuring work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
• Participate in evaluating the activities of staff, recommending improvements and modifications.
• Provide and coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies.
• Provide and/or ensure follow up on trouble calls/tickets; correspond with or meet customers and vendors as needed to understand and resolve concerns.
• Analyze complex data and information trends to support system capacity/performance planning or diagnose issues related to assigned systems; compile and prepare reports and documentation on analysis findings.
• Perform installation and configuration duties and related data migration, conversion and maintenance and extraction work; implement and maintain databases, database tables and database objects; develop database scripts as needed for assigned systems.
• Perform configuration, testing and troubleshooting for network/communication devices and/or interfaces that support assigned systems.
• Monitor automated system processes; monitor logs and files for evidence of problems or system failures; ensure business resumption after system failures.
• Provide project management for major and/or complex system installations and application migration efforts; develop and guide project time lines; provide detailed project objectives, system requirements, business process analysis and cost-benefit analysis.
• Facilitate testing, training and rollout of new or modified systems related to area of assignment; seek out, receive and evaluate user feedback.
• Assist departments in defining requirements for proposed business applications; review analyze and evaluate business applications and user needs; translate business objectives into application requirements.
• Provide expertise in the use of business applications; identify application problems and solutions through application modifications, business process changes and/or new software applications and products.
• Perform highly complex and difficult technical work in the definition, design and development of business systems applications related to various municipal services and programs.
• Conduct technical research as it relates to systems upgrades to determine feasibility, cost and compatibility.
• Test and implement computer applications and systems; maintain and upgrade existing application systems and interfaces; apply software updates to servers and schedule periodic server cycling; prepare and maintain application documentation; coordinate technical resources in multiple departments; ensure system life cycle process is followed.
• Participate in strategic planning efforts with respect to improving information technology service delivery.
• Participate in the development of Requests for Proposal; assist with the selection and oversight of consultants and vendors.
• Represent function on committees, outside organizations, and at staff subcommittees as necessary; coordinate technical support activities with other departments, divisions and outside agencies.
• Participate in budget preparation and administration for assigned projects. • Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Advanced principles and practices of information technology systems, systems analysis, programming, and application documentation.
• Databases, networks, servers, and operating systems.
• Project management methodologies.
• Business systems analysis.
• Software development life cycle.
• Principles and practices of technical and functional supervision and training.
• Standards and methods related to computerized data systems and analysis use.
• Written documentation methods related to highly complex technical work.
• Plan, organize and coordinate implementation of major business systems applications.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job. Intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time. Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
• Develop and manage major projects related to business systems applications, including establishing and maintaining schedules.
• Design systems and develop necessary programming and application documentation.
• Monitor performance of various operating systems; develop and modify operating systems and database scripts; document system methods and changes.
• Interpret and explain pertinent information technology and City policies and procedures.
• Prepare a variety of reports and maintain accurate records and files.
• Effectively manage the more complex projects.
• Effectively lead cross-functional teams.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Work weekends and/or evenings as required.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training:
Two years of responsible experience performing duties similar to that of a Business Systems Analyst II with the City of Roseville.
Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, information systems, business management, accounting, finance or a related field.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
Applications will be screened to the most qualified and may include a written, oral, or practical examination
1. Which position(s) are you applying for?
a. ___ Business Applications Team (BAT)
b. ___ GIS/Internet (GISI)
c. ___ Both
2. Describe your experience leading enterprise application/technology projects.
3. Describe your leadership qualities and skills as well as their application in your current work.
4. Describe your experience leading business application cross functional teams.
5. Describe the project management techniques you have used on enterprise application/technology projects.
6. Describe your technology strategic planning experience.
7. Based on what you know of the [GISI or BAT] Division in IT, what would you consider its critical success factors?
8. Given a situation where your project is projected to be late for a deadline that cannot be changed, how would you change the project plan in respect to quality, resources, time, documentation, communication, and scope?
9. List the numbers of efforts you have been involved with:
a. ___ Large enterprise projects
b. ___ Cross functional teams
c. ___ Technology strategic planning efforts
Promotional/Lateral (City Employees Only), Salary
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Real-Time Traveler Info
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2015 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.