Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Promotional Recruitment No. 13.080 Date Opened: 11/22/2013
: $10,060 to $13,482 Monthly (26 pay periods annually)
FINAL FILING DATE:
QUALIFIED AND REGULAR City of Roseville employees may submit an application to Human Resources by 5:00 p.m. Friday, December 6, 2013. Temporary employees are not eligible to apply.
TENTATIVE TEST DATE:
Oral Interview: TBD
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the position of Finance Director to work in the Finance Department. The normal work schedule will be Monday - Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. A flex schedule may be available.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop, plan and implement department goals and objectives; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
• Coordinate Department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; provide staff assistance to the City Manager, Assistant City Manager and City Council; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
• Direct, oversee and participate in the development of the Department's work plan; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
• Supervise and participate in the development and administration of the City and Finance Department’s annual operating budget and capital improvement budget; direct the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; implement mid-year adjustments.
• Develop and implement long and short-term strategic plans in support of department and City-wide goals and objectives.
• Oversee the preparation of documentation related to the refinancing of existing debt and the issuance of new debt; direct the preparation of financial reports as required by law; prepare various financial reports and analyses requested by the Assistant City Manager, City Manager and City Council.
• Review, evaluate and recommend improvements to the City's administrative and financial internal control systems and procedures and ensure audit compliance.
• Direct the design, implementation, and control of automated financial systems.
• Oversee the general accounting functions of the City; provide financial support and assistance to City departments; ensure compliance with internal controls and standard accounting practices.
• Select, train, motivate and evaluate personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures; maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the Department.
• Represent the Department to outside groups and organizations; participate in outside community and professional groups and committees; provide technical assistance as necessary.
• Research and prepare technical and administrative reports and studies; prepare written correspondence as necessary.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other * employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Generally accepted accounting principles and financial reporting for various transaction types.
• Principles and practices of internal control procedures and practices as they apply to a public agency.
• Principles and methods of finance administration, particularly in the areas of accounting, budgeting, auditing, purchasing, central stores, treasury, utility billing, business license and customer service.
• California public agency financial practices, revenue sources and reporting.
• Principles and practices of leadership, motivation, team building and conflict resolution.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, rules and regulations.
• Organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies and operational needs.
• Principles and practices of organization, administration and personnel management.
• Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
• Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
• Plan, direct and control the administration and operations of the Finance department.
• On a continuous basis, analyze budget and technical reports; interpret and evaluate staff report and related documents; know and interpret laws, regulations, codes and procedures; observe performance and evaluate staff; problem solve department related issues; and explain and interpret policy.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk and in meetings for long periods of time. Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and communicate through written means.
• Develop and implement department policies and procedures.
• Gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
• Successfully develop, control and administer departmental budget and expenditures.
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
• Effectively administer a variety of finance activities.
• Interpret and apply Federal, State, local and department policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
• Develop and install sound accounting and related financial systems and procedures.
• Prepare complex financial statements, reports and analyses.
• Identify and respond to public and City Council issues and concerns.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Supervise, train and evaluate assigned personnel.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
Seven years of increasingly responsible experience in public accounting and financial analysis including at least three years of administrative and management responsibility.
Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in in accounting, finance, business administration or related field.
License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
Applications will be screened to the most qualified and may include a written, oral, or practical examination.
Promotional/Lateral (City Employees Only), Salary
Click Here To Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.