Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Electric Line Technician
Date Opened: 9/3/2013
ELECTRIC LINE TECHNICIAN
: $6254 to $8799 MONTHLY (26 PAY PERIODS ANNUALLY)
For more information on the City’s benefits, visit our webpage at www.roseville.ca.us
FINAL FILING DATE
: Accepting the first 50 qualified applications or closing at 5:00 pm on Friday, October 4, 2013, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST.
TENTATIVE TEST DATES:
Written/Practical Exam: October 23, 2013 Oral Interview Exam: October 30, 2013
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the position of Electric Line Technincian in the Electric Department. The normal work scheduled will be.
To perform skilled electrical repair work in the construction and maintenance of underground and overhead electrical transmission and distribution lines.
This is the journey level class in the Line Technician series and is distinguished from the Apprentice Line Technician level by the assignment of the full range of duties. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new, unusual or unique situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies within the work unit. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are normally filled by advancement from the Apprentice Line Technician level. This class is distinguished from the Senior Line Technician in that the latter performs advanced journey level work and provides technical and functional supervision to assigned staff.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
• Receives general supervision from an assigned supervisor.
• Receives technical and functional supervision from a Senior Line Technician.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Climb poles, splice and repair energized lines; construct new overhead and underground transmission and distribution lines.
• Set poles, install cross arms and breakers; string, pull dead ends and energize primary and secondary wires; mount, bus and energize transformers, cable, risers, potheads, substructures, conduits and underground circuits.
• Run service lines from poles to consumer’s premises; connect, disconnect and replace service loops; build bypass lines; phase out and cut in new circuits; cut and tap primary lines; pull and terminate underground cables.
• Test poles, lines and other facilities; mount street light standards, heads and electrical control devices; trim trees to clear wires; operate aerial bucket truck ,high ranger, line truck, puller andother related utility equipment.
• May occasionally maintain and repair switching gear, transformers and related substation equipment; respond to service calls.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Elementary principles of electricity.
• Principles of electric theory as applied to circuits and wiring systems.
• Principles and procedures of record keeping.
• Basic methods, procedures, materials and tools used in electrical installation and maintenance.
• Safe work practices.
• Learn complex electrical line installation and repair work.
• Learn, understand and follow department policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand operations, and observe safety rules; intermittently analyze problem equipment; identify and locate equipment; interpret work orders; remember equipment location; and explain jobs to others.
• Intermittently, sit while studying or preparing reports; reach, bend, squat, climb, kneel and twist when repairing or installing equipment; perform simple pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 50 pounds or less.
• Learn to identify system malfunctions and recommend appropriate corrective action.
• Perform work a considerable distance above the ground among high voltage lines.
• Prepare and maintain simple records of activities.
• Appropriately stock and load trucks with needed supplies on a daily basis; wash and clean trucks.
• Work assigned shift schedules; be available for call-back and on-call assignment.
• Work unusual and prolonged work schedules during emergencies, seasonally-caused circumstances in varying weather and temperature conditions.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Independently perform skilled electrical repair work in the construction and maintenance of underground and overhead electrical transmission and distribution lines.
Experience and Training
• Three years of experience performing duties similar to an Apprentice Line Technician with the City of Roseville.
• Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade and completion of a recognized power line apprenticeship program.
License and Certificate
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California class A driver’s license within six (6) months of date of appointment.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, First Aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificates.
Applications will be screened to the most qualified candidates. Those candidates will be invited to a written exam/practical exam (climbing test). Those achieving a passing score on both the written and practical exam will be invited to participate in the oral interview exam weighted at 100%. Scores earned from the oral interview will be used to establish the employment list. Candidates within the top five ranked scores will be certified to the department for final consideration. Final appointment is contingent upon a background check, passing a City-paid pre-employment medical exam, a drug and alcohol screening test, and a fingerprint check.
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click here to apply
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
RFPs and Bids
Parks, Rec. & Library
Maidu Indian Museum
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Real-Time Traveler Info
Road Closures & Detours
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2013 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.