| || Sorry, this page has moved!|
Please click here to go to the new location.
What Requires a Permit?
Per the CBC (California Building Code) - No building or structure regulated by this code shall be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted or demolished unless a separate permit for each building or structure has first been obtained from the building official.
How to Obtain a Building Permit
Building permits must be applied for in person at the Permit Center. The Building Division does not accept applications via mail, fax or email. Online Permitting is available to pre-registered licensed contractors for some simple projects.
A completed Building Permit Application is required to apply for any building permit type. Permits can be issued to a legal property owner or to a licensed contractor.
Although a contractor will often secure permits, it is the responsibility of the homeowner to make sure all necessary permits are obtained. To view useful information about being an owner-builder and hiring contractors, the California Contractors State License Board, in cooperation with the Department of Consumer Affairs, has a wealth of information and printable hand-outs to help you select an appropriate contractor for your project.
For more information on code and submittal requirements related to your project, please visit the Plan Check page.
If work has been started without a building permit, please view the policy for Work Done Without a Building Permit. The policy describes how to obtain approval from the City of Roseville for work performed without the benefit of a building permit.
Building Permit Fees
On July 18, 2014, the Roseville City Council approved changes to the Building Department fee structure, effective August 18, 2014. Fees for most projects are now based on the use and square footage of the building, not the stated valuation of the project. To determine the valuation of your project, please reference Ordinance 5359. The Building Permit and Admin Fee Table can provide you with Building Permit and Administration Fees only for projects with a valuation between $1 and $313,000. For help with a fee estimate, please contact the Building Division at 916-774-5332.
To request a refund of permit fees, where no work has been performed, please submit your request in writing. Where authorization for a refund is granted, no more than 75% of the original fees will be repaid.
- One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11.15 m2).
- Fences not over 7 feet (1829 mm) high.
- Oil derricks.
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids.
- Water tanks (not including hot water heaters) supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 925 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
- Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 925 L) and are installed entirely above ground.
- Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3 and U occupancies.
- Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1753 mm) in height.
Development Services -
311 Vernon Street
(916) 774-5394 Fax
(916) 774-5220 TDD