Household Hazardous Waste

Household Hazardous Waste

The City of Roseville offers three options to properly dispose of household hazardous waste, electronic waste and other items.

Option #1 - Let us pick it up at your door step for free!

The City of Roseville offers free pick-up of certain household hazardous waste and electronic waste items. For more information on how to set up a pick-up appointment at your house, click here

Need to dispose of an old smoke detector?  Click here to find out how.

Option #2 - Got dead household batteries? Drop while you shop!

The City of Roseville maintains household battery drop-off tubes at over twenty grocery and retail locations in Roseville. To find a location near you, click here.

Option #3 - Take the items to the Materials Recovery Facility.

The Western Placer Waste Management Authority provides a collection for household hazardous waste (HHW) 7 days per week from 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. at the materials recovery facility located at the corner of Fiddyment Road and Athens Road in Roseville.

Acceptance limits are 15 gallons or 125 pounds per vehicle per visit.

When hauling HHW, residents should follow these important tips and transporting techniques:

- Keep waste in its original container whenever possible.

- Label material not in its original container.

- Place the contents of a leaking container into a tightly sealed, labeled, rigid plastic container.

- Keep container upright when transporting. Do not place waste in plastic bags.

- Place material in the trunk of your car or secured in your truck bed.

The following items are accepted FREE of charge from Placer County residents ONLY.

- Used Motor Oil and Filters

- Fluorescent Tubes and CFL's

- Batteries

- Thermometers & Thermostats

- Paint and Paint Products

- Automotive Products & Brake Fluid

- Antifreeze

- Floor & Furniture Cleaners

- Acids & Pool Chemicals

- Poisons, Pesticides, & Herbicides

- Solvents/Degreasers, Varnish & Shellac

- Small Aerosol Cans

- Medications

- Gasoline, Kerosene & Other flammables


- Compressed Gas Cylinders LESS than 5 gallons only

- Electronic waste, such as TVs, computers, radios, etc.

Unacceptable items include medical waste (except medications and sharps), ammunition/explosives, asbestos, radioactive materials, compressed gas/propane cylinders GREATER than 5 gallons or 20 lbs., and PCBs. For further information, residents may contact the WPWMA at (916) 543-3960 or visit them on on the web at

Acceptable materials include paints, cleaners, solvents, oil, and poisons that should not be disposed of in our landfill. Materials prohibited by state law include explosives, radioactive materials, and business or contractor waste.