Graphics Version

Homepage > ... > Roseville Electric > News You Can Use > Electric FAQs

Electric FAQs

Can I submit my rebate application before receiving the final permit?
No – a system installation must receive a final permit prior to applying for a rebate payment. Rebate payment applications (form B) that do not include a final permit will be rejected.
Can you explain the demand charges on my electric bill?
Demand charges apply to your highest amount of consumption, averaged within a 15 minute period, during the billing month.
Do all the wells and equipment remain down there because there is no sure way to plug the fractures left behind?
The only time that a fracture might be created is during step testing (required by the EPA to permit the well). The Step Rate Test (SRT) involves a series of constant rate injection tests, all with the same duration, with each successive step at a higher injection rate and injection pressure. The injection rate can be increased until the formation parting pressure is exceeded, at which point the injection pressure suddenly drops (showing up as in inflection point on the rate vs. pressure curve). However, the EPA does not always require that the parting pressure be reached, as long as the maximum injection rate and pressure attained in the SRT is greater than the desired operational injection rate (with a safety factor included). Having said this, any fracture produced in a SRT will be limited in size and should heal after injection ceases. The fracture shouldn't open again unless the formation parting pressure is exceeded again, which is not allowed under permit.

All "equipment" will be removed from both wells, and then the wells will be sealed underground and capped according to EPA direction and the Plugging and Abandonment Plans. This will be done in order to protect surface water and underground drinking water supplies.
Does Roseville Electric allow payment arrangements on my electric bill?
Yes. Call City of Roseville at (916) 774-5300 before the expiration date of the past due notice or e-mail to arrange your payments. It will be necessary to come into the utility office to sign a payment agreement.
Does Roseville Electric provide a discount for use of life support equipment?
You may qualify for a medical rate discount if a full-time resident of the household regularly requires the use of life support equipment and you meet certain income guidelines. To receive this discount, a doctor must certify the special energy needs of the patient. Call (916) 774-5300 for an application or e-mail for more information.
Does Roseville Electric provide discounts on electric bills for low income households?
Yes. Visit the utility rate assistance page for more information. There are several local organizations that offer utility bill assistance to low income residents. Project GO administers the HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program) Program. Call 1-888-524-5705. St. Vincent de Paul can be reached at 916-781-3303 and the Salvation Army can be reached at 916-784-3382.
Does Roseville Electric repair streetlights?
Roseville Electric repairs streetlights. If a streetlight is malfunctioning, contact Roseville Electric. In order to provide better street lighting, Roseville Electric has an on-going streetlight retrofitting program.
Phone: 79-POWER
Does Roseville Electric require a deposit on all business accounts?
It is our policy to obtain a deposit from all applicants who have not established credit with the City. New businesses are given a 30 day grace period. After that time, a deposit is required based on 2-1/2 times the amount of the highest bill for the 60 day period. The deposit can be deposited in a CD deposit in the name of the City of Roseville. The deposit is returned to the customer after a period of one year. A letter of credit will be accepted in lieu of a deposit. For more information contact Utility Services at the number below.
Phone: (916) 774-5300
Does Roseville Electric trim trees above power lines?
Roseville Electric will trim trees when it is determined to present a problem. To request an inspection, contact Roseville Electric. This service is offered at no cost.
Phone: 79-POWER
Does the City of Roseville have electronic payment options?
Payment through your bank: Many banking institutions will pay your electric bill directly. Contact your bank for information.

Credit card: Payment can be made with your credit card by calling (916) 774-5300 or going to the City of Roseville Utility Service Department at 311 Vernon Street. E-mail for any additional assistance.

ABD: The City of Roseville now offers Automatic Bank Draft (ABD) for our customers. ABD is a direct debit program that works with the customer’s bank to withdraw funds automatically on a recurring monthly basis for utility bill payment. Please see the utility payment page for more information.

During a power outage, how do I protect my appliances?
During an outage, turn off all major appliances such as washers and dryers. Unplug all sensitive electronic equipment such as television sets, VCRs, microwaves and computers. This reduces the electrical demand when power is restored and reduces the chance of damage caused by electrical surges. To know when the power has been restored, leave a few light switches on.
How can I check the amount due on my bill?
Account information is available by calling our automated customer service number at (916) 774-5300. (To email the City of Roseville Finance/Utilities Department, use Please have your account number available.
How can I get a duplicate bill?
Call Utility Services at (916) 774-5300 or e-mail to obtain a duplicate bill.
How much energy does a compact fluorescent light bulb save?
Compact fluorescent lights save you approximately 75 percent of the energy and last 10 times longer than a comparable incandescent light bulb.
I am adding equipment and need more power to my business site. How do I get this done?
For assistance in upgrading your electric service, contact the appropriate numbers listed below:

Roseville Electric (916) 79-POWER

  • A representative from Roseville Electric will inspect your electric panel and submit a drawing to the Building Department indicating electric requirements.

City of Roseville Building Department (916) 774-5332

  • Obtain necessary building permits.
  • Following installation of your new panel by your electrician, contact the Building Department to obtain inspection.
I am planning to move. How can I get my electric service transferred to my new address?
Call (916) 774-5300 or e-mail at least five working days before your scheduled move date. You can also transfer your water, sewer and refuse service at the same time.
I am planning to relocate my business. How can I get my electric service transferred to my new address?
Call City of Roseville Utility Service at the number below.
Phone: (916) 774-5300
I don't believe my meter was read correctly. Can arrangements be made to have the meter re-read?
Yes. Call (916) 774-5300 or e-mail to request a re-read of your meter.
If my power is disconnected due to non-payment, what is the charge for reconnection?
Reconnection during office hours - $25.00 reconnection fee
Reconnection after office hours - $75.00 reconnection fee

Returned check charge - $25.00

Fee for cut-off at the pole due to inaccessible electric meter - $30.00
Should I be concerned with overhead power lines?
In recent years concerns have been raised about the possible health effects of electric and magnetic fields (EMFs) from appliances, home wiring, and power lines. Numerous studies on this subject have been done throughout the world with results that are often hard to interpret and sometimes conflicting. While no one has proven that exposure to EMFs is harmful, many questions remain about how these fields, especially magnetic fields, might affect the human bodies.

By calling 79-POWER or e-mailing, you may request a free copy of "Your Guide to Understanding EMF" or request an on-site EMF measurement.

What conservation incentives does Roseville Electric offer for my business?
Roseville Electric offers rebates for a new construction project or for retrofitting an existing business. Visit the link below for more information.

For more information, email or call the number below.

Phone: (916) 774-5624
What happens after the projected 20-year lifespan of the system if there should be no interim problems?
Prior to the wells being constructed and operated, the EPA will require Roseville Electric to have Plugging and Abandonment Plans in place to safely decommission the wells. The required plans will outline all aspects of the decommissioning from the financial requirements, engineering, ongoing monitoring as determined and making the site look as it did prior to the installation of the wells.
What if I cannot get the duct leakage under 15%?
Systems with more than 15% duct leakage may still qualify for our HVAC 400 Rebate Program but will not qualify for a Right-Size rebate.
What is a Liquid Management System?
It is the process of disposing of water that has a high mineral content by injecting it below ground. This process does not impact underground drinking water sources. This process also meets the Environmental Protection Agency standards.
What number should I call to report a broken light?
What types of energy conservation rebates are offered by Roseville Electric for residents?
See our residential rebates page.
When is my bill considered past due and do I have to pay a late fee?
Your bill is due and payable upon presentation and is past due if not paid within 21 days after the bill date. Payments received after the due date will be subject to a $10.00 late charge.
Where can I pay my electric bill?
You can pay your electric bill in person or by mail to:

City of Roseville
311 Vernon Street
Roseville, CA 95678

Go to to pay your bill online.

While this may be the cheapest plan to operate now, how would it compare with future revenue loss or delays in home sales, and potential lawsuits for property damage, injuries, etc.?
The presentation to the RCONA group highlighted the selection criteria used to determine the LMS as the best option. Cost was one of the factors, but not the most important as the list below indicates. The selection criteria included the following:
  • The new process will improve our system reliability
  • The new process will be financially prudent
  • The new process must be environmentally safe and compliant
  • The new process must be a proven technology, acceptable to permitting agencies.

With proper engineering controls, direction from the EPA, and diligence in operating the process to the same high standard our customers already appreciate and enjoy with Roseville Electric, we do not expect to experience any of the adverse impacts mentioned in the question.
Who regulates Roseville Electric?
Roseville Electric is regulated by the Roseville City Council. The Roseville Public Utilities Commission meets the fourth Tuesday of every month and can be viewed on Comcast Channel 14 or SureWest Channel 73. The five-member commission serves as an advisory board to the City Council.
Why was my rebate application rejected?
Rebates will be rejected if the application is incomplete or incorrect. A rebate will be denied if the installed system does not match the specifications identified in the reservation issued. A rebate will be denied if it does not pass inspection by a 3rd Party HERS Rater.
Will Roseville Electric replace broken breaker switches, repair internal electric wiring or service electric appliances?
Roseville Electric does not replace parts or make repairs on customer-owned equipment or wiring.
Will the equipment corrode or deteriorate in the salt water environment, and what happens to the chemicals that have been dumped down there?
The equipment will be engineered to withstand the corrosive operating environment. Additionally, there will be routine inspections, safety devices and maintenance performed to ensure any issues that arise are resolved in a timely manner.

The injected water contains base constituents already found in the salt water aquifer we will be injecting into, but at a much lower percentage, and will remain in that salt water aquifer. This salt water is considered untreatable for drinking water by California and EPA standards, and as such the injected water will be diluted to such a degree within the salt water aquifer it would not be detected in a discrete sample.
Will there continue to be perpetual monitoring to ensure future environmental safety afterwards?
The EPA will require monitoring during the operation of the wells. They will also determine what type of monitoring will be required after well closure. The monitoring duration and frequency will be based on items such as:
  • Historical well operation data
  • Details of well construction such as depth and condition of well at the time of decommissioning
  • Any reported safety concerns or operational failures during the life of the well or at the time of decommissioning.
Your presentation at RCONA did not really address the other alternatives we asked more information about.
Due to the length of the answer, it will be posted on the FAQ page by Monday, July 6, 2013.
Why does Roseville have to dispose of water?
The cooling water is used to draw heat away from the equipment. The warmed cooling water then needs to be cooled and this is done through the process of evaporation. A side effect of evaporation is a high mineral content build up in the cooling water which can drastically reduce plant equipment efficiency. The management process removes the high mineral content water from the cooling water.
What information is the consultant or Roseville Electric considering when looking at rate changes?

There are significant factors that go into determining a rate structure. It is a very fluid and complex process that takes into account some of the following factors:

  • Buying and generating power
  • Buying renewable energy
  • Setting aside funds for the rehabilitation fund and rate stabilization fund
  • Providing funds for customer rebates and energy efficiency service
  • Compliance reporting
  • Fixing and upgrading the existing cables, poles, transformers, and substations
  • Developing plans to expand the existing system for new businesses and homes
  • Annual community reinvestment for street lights, traffic signals, police, parks and recreation, fire, and libraries.
Why are we considering this process?
The current process to dispose of the water used to cool the plant is very expensive to operate and maintain. At the time the plant was permitted, it was the best available option approved by the California Energy Commission. Now six years later, it’s appropriate to seek viable alternatives. If the proposed liquid management system is appropriate for the REP, it could save Roseville Electric up to $1.8 million in operation and maintenance costs annually.
How does it work?
Roseville Electric would inject water that has developed a high mineral content more than 1,500 feet below the underground drinking water aquifer. The 1,500 foot layer separates and will protect the drinking water from injection water.
How does Roseville Electric know how much electricity to buy or generate for the utilities 54,000 customers?
Roseville Electric energy analysts create multi-year Integrated Resource Plan to understand how much electricity the utility must buy or generate. The forecast also provides an analysis on what the energy will cost, both in the short and long term.
Does Roseville Electric buy power? Or does it generate its own power?
Roseville Electric does both. We buy power – including renewable energy – and also generate power.

We generate power at the Roseville Energy Park when it's more expensive to buy it. We buy power, when it’s cheaper to purchase, than to generate. That’s the way our power plant was designed to operate. It runs when it's cost effective.
Where is Roseville Electric’s liquid management system site?
The proposed site located on 5,000 square feet of City owned property adjacent to the Roseville Energy Park (REP). As part of the project the REP fencing will be extended to enclose the injection process equipment.
When will this start?
Roseville Electric staff expects to have a schedule outlining the remainder of this project in early 2012. Roseville Electric staff will also provide the City Council with an update on the completed liquid management system feasibility study along with staff’s recommendations for the next phase.
What will the liquid management system process accomplish?
The liquid management system process replaces the zero liquid discharge system in place at the Roseville Energy Park. Our analysis shows that a liquid management system is not as costly to operate or maintain when compared to the zero liquid discharge system.
What is the zero liquid discharge system?
The zero liquid discharge system, known as the ZLD, is the process of removing the high mineral content from cooling water used during the plant cooling process. The removed minerals form into a non-hazardous salt cake. The salt cake is then taken to the Placer County Materials Recovery Facility for disposal.

The process of removing and discharging cooling water from the plant must be approved by the California Energy Commission. During the plant permitting process, the ZLD was approved by the California Energy Commission because it was considered to be the best technology at that time.
Why do we want to use the liquid management system process?
Roseville Electric’s Energy Park’s ZLD is costly to operate and maintain. When Roseville Electric became aware that the California Energy Commission was permitting another plant using liquid management system technology, we initiated a study to determine if it would be cost effective to use at the REP.

In May 2010, a consultant study considered many alternatives and found the only option worthy of further consideration is a liquid management system. In 2011 a detailed feasibility study was completed.
What will the liquid management system cost?
While we do not have firm numbers, our consultant estimates the cost of a liquid management system at the Roseville Energy Park is $4.7 million. The study also estimates the annual operating and maintenance cost savings of the liquid management system project to be $1.8 million.
Is liquid management a proven technology?
There are currently more than 100 liquid management systems utilizing injection wells permitted in California. Of those, four were permitted for power plants.
What impact does a liquid management system have on the environment?

The liquid management process is considered to be an acceptable process to use in industrial process by the California Energy Commission and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Our study shows:

  1. The liquid management site’s separation from drinking water is more than required by federal standards.
  2. The injection zone exceeds the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s minimum criteria.
  3. The water from the power plant is cleaner than the water found (naturally) in the injection zone.
I live in on the west side of town; how will this affect my neighborhood?
The liquid management process will be designed to have no impact on its neighbors.
What would happen if we don’t do the liquid management system project?
We will continue to use the ZLD system. We are using that system now; By permit Roseville Electric cannot operate the Energy Park and not use the ZLD system.
Will my electricity rates increase because of the liquid management system project?
The use of a liquid management system at the Energy Park will not increase operation and maintenance costs.
What are our next steps?
Assuming the City Council approves this project; Roseville Electric will prepare and submit permit applications to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and California Energy Commission to use the liquid management process.
Show all Categories


Homepage | Residents | Business | Visiting | Departments | e-Services | Apply | Find | Report | Sign Up
City of Roseville 311 Vernon St., Roseville, CA 95678. Phone: 916-774-5200.
Powered by Civica Software