| || |
- Install weather-stripping around exterior doors and operable windows, and around doors between heated and unheated or cooled and uncooled spaces.
- Install door bottoms, thresholds, or door "shoes" to seal gaps beneath exterior doors and doors to unheated or uncooled spaces.
- Insulate exterior walls and floors, and insulate roof or ceiling spaces to R-19 standards or above wherever possible.
- Install window treatments where feasible, such as shade screens, shades, awnings, or overhangs.
- If exterior treatments are not feasible, consider interior window film, insulated drapes, valances and/or blinds, or removable insulation material.
- Caulk cracks and gaps around windows and doors, in the building foundation, and between different building materials.
- Repair roof leaks. Insulation will lose effectiveness when wet.
- Repair and maintain door and window weather-stripping to prevent water and moisture entry, causing doors and windows to warp and deteriorate.
- Consider permanently closing and sealing doors and windows NOT needed for building access or ventilation and that are NOT used as safety or fire exits.
- Keep doors between heated and unheated spaces and cooled and uncooled spaces closed, and install automatic door closers if needed.